Please take note to the most recent changes to Permit Forms.  The amended documents ensure the information submitted is aligned with the correct requirements.  The Building Division continually strives to make improvements for the citizens of North Port. 

Staff accepts permit applications and all of the other forms necessary to satisfy the requirements of construction codes. Communication between the Department and builders is the key to obtaining the required items for code compliance, especially considering the time constraints and other issues facing the builder or homeowner.

What do I need to obtain a building permit?

You will always need the parcel ID number and your lot, block and addition. You can get this information from your tax bill, or by visiting the Sarasota County Property Appraiser's website or calling the Office at (941) 861-8200.

You will always need a completed building permit application. Application forms are available at the Building Division, located on the first floor of City Hall (4970 City Hall Blvd.) or online at the Permit Application Forms page.

Important: The builder who does the work obtains the permit. If someone offers to do work for you but does not want to apply for the permit, that person probably is not licensed. You will then be responsible for the work. In each and every case, whoever applies for the permit is responsible for the work.

If you are building a house, you will find our New Single Family Residence Permit checklist(PDF, 223KB)  to be very helpful.

If you are adding a shed or a fence, you will need 4 copies of your survey showing where the shed or fence will be placed along with the set backs from your property lines (both sides and rear). If you are erecting a shed other than those purchased in kit form, then we will need plans and engineering information.

If you are adding on to your home, we need 4 copies of your survey showing where the addition will be, how far from your lot line it will be, and building plans (3 copies of each please) — just as though you were building a new house. We also need to know who will be doing the work.

4 sets of plans are required when a right-of-way is needed, otherwise, 3 sets of plans are sufficient.

Commercial Permit Applications: Because they are more complicated than any other type of permit, we require you to call and make an appointment for submitting commercial permit applications. Please call (941) 429-7044.

Note: Site plans are most useful if you make a copy of your survey and indicate on it where you plan to place the shed, addition or fence.

Water heater change-outs and air conditioning change-outs require only a completed permit application.

Building code information may be obtained at the following websites.