City Attorney

Mission Statement

Amber L. Slayton
Amber L. Slayton, City Attorney

The City Attorney’s Office is committed to providing effective and timely legal representation and advice to the City Commission, City administration, and City boards and committees.


The City Commission appoints the City Attorney to serve as the legal advisor and legal counselor for the City Commission, City Manager, City Clerk, all City departments, and City advisory boards and committees.

The City Attorney prepares, reviews, and/or approves all proposed ordinances, resolutions, and contracts to be considered by the City Commission. The City Attorney also provides legal opinions to the City on municipal government matters, including interpretation of the City Charter, ordinances, state and federal statutes, other regulatory materials, and case law. Additionally, the City Attorney represents the City and/or supervises outside counsel in all litigation matters.

The City Attorney’s Office is not authorized to provide legal advice to the public. Please see the Legal Resources Links below for contact information of entities that may be able to assist with your legal needs.


The City Attorney’s Office is an in-house legal department comprised of the City Attorney, Deputy City Attorney, Assistant City Attorneys, paralegals, and executive staff.

Process Servers

Resolution No. 2015-R-25 authorizes the City Attorney and her designee(s) to accept process and civil summons “on behalf of the City, the City Commission, the City Manager, the City Clerk or any official and employee served in their official capacity as a party defendant.” The City Attorney has designated the Deputy City Attorney to accept process on her behalf. Process servers are welcome to stop by the City Attorney’s Office at their convenience. To ensure that the City Attorney or Deputy City Attorney will be available to accept service, process servers may opt to email us at or call (941) 429-7260 to schedule an appointment.

Legal Resources Links

How can I find an attorney in the area?

Members of the public seeking legal advice may contact The Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service by calling (800) 342-8011 or online at the Florida Bar website.

How can I contact the Sarasota County Clerk and Comptroller?

Contact the Sarasota County Clerk at (941) 861-7400 or online at the Sarasota Clerk and Comptroller website.

How can I access the City's Charter, the City Code, and the Unified Land Development Code?

These documents are available online. The City Charter appears as Part I of the Code of the City. View the City Code and the Unified Land Development Code.

How can I access the Florida Statutes?

Florida Statutes are available on the Florida Legislature website.

You can search bills and find contact information for your legislators online for the Florida Senate and Florida House of Representatives.

How can I pay a code enforcement lien?

A code enforcement lien can be paid through the Code Enforcement Division at (941) 429-7186 or online. Before the City will release a lien, a property must be in compliance with all city codes, and the lien amount and all applicable fees must be paid.